Salem United Methodist Church

2057 Salem Road, Virginia Beach


Salem United Methodist Church
Salem United Methodist church is located about 6 miles from the Virginia Beach Municipal Center.

The first church building was located 1.5 miles south of the present location. It was small and burned prior to 1858.

A larger structure was built at the present site and a one-room school was built on the right side of the church yard.

In the early 1900's the school was torn down and the school children were sent to Kempsville.

The church was reconstructed in 1913 and the lumber was salvaged for use in the new building.

The present sanctuary is therefore built on the original 12 X 12 sills. The first service was held at noon on December 10 1914. The Rev. J.T. Routton preached. The church was dedicated on July 1, 1915.

In the 1930's the church was wired for electricity. The old carbide lights were turned upside down and converted for electricity. They are still in use today. The altar furniture and the communion table in use today are from the original building.

The church was dedicated a Virginia Beach Historical Landmark in 2008.

Church history and photos contributed by Church member Frances Bradberry.

 



Historic Houses - Historic Sites - Museums
 

Home
Site Map
Index
Contact Us
The Society
Get Involved
Local History
Historic Places
Resources

Princess Anne County/Virginia Beach Historical Society

2040 Potters Road, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454

Contact us at webmaster@virginiabeachhistory.org or (757) 491-3490

http://www.virginiabeachhistory.org

Copyright©2001 Princess Anne County/Virginia Beach Historical Society • ALL RIGHTS RESERVED • Web site design by Cynthia S. Hart • Modifications by June Cooper