PAC/VBHS Newletter Article
On June 29, 1992, the Princess Anne County Tricentennial Committee that oversaw the 300th Anniversary of the county during 1991, participated in a ceremony to dedicate a roadside marker in front of the old courthouse at the municipal Center. The marker insures that we remember that Virginia Beach was once Princess Anne County.The marker tells a quick story of the history of old Princess Anne. It reads, “Princess Anne County was formed in 1691 and ceased to exist in 1963 when it merged with the Virginia Beach resort to become the city of Virginia Beach. This courthouse, established in 1820, was the last county seat. An American Indian tribe, the Chesapeakes, lived in this region of Virginia before the English arrived. In the 17th century the Virginia Beach area also was governed as the Virginia Colony, 1607-1634; Elizabeth City Shire, 1634-1636; New Norfolk County, 1636-1637; and Lower Norfolk County, 1637-1691.
Dr. Stephen Mansfield, committee chairman made a brief statement to committee members and city staff who gathered for the ceremony, regarding the activities which had taken place during the tricentennial year. Mayor Meyera Oberndorf and Barbara Henley, PAC/VB Historical Society President unveiled the marker.
The marker was purchased with funds raised by the committee during 1991. The remainder of those funds was presented to Clerk of Court Curtis Fruit to restore one of the Princess Anne County minute books. Official record of the Tricentennial activities was presented to Marcy Sims, director of public libraries.
Princess Anne County/Virginia Beach Historical Society Newsletter: July/August 1992
|Home||Site Map||Index||About Us||Get Involved|
|Princess Anne County/Virginia Beach Historical Society|
|2040 Potters Road, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454|
|Contact us at email@example.com or (757) 491-3490|
Copyright©2001 Princess Anne County/Virginia Beach Historical Society • ALL RIGHTS RESERVED • Web site design by Cynthia S. Hart • Modifications by June Cooper