Old Cape Henry Lighthouse

Fort Story, Virginia Beach


Old Cape Henry Light House

In 1607 Captain Newport came ashore at Cape Henry, now called First Landing and erected a giant cross to mark the spot.  The Old Lighthouse was built in 1792 near that very spot.  After years of service to seaman, the Old Lighthouse was replaced by the New Lighthouse in 1881. The old lighthouse is now owned by The Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities and can be visited on the base at Fort Story.  For more information visit their web site at  http://apva.org/capehenry/



Historic Houses - Historic Sites - Museums
 

Home
Site Map
Index
Contact Us
The Society
Get Involved
Local History
Historic Places
Resources

Princess Anne County/Virginia Beach Historical Society

2040 Potters Road, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454

Contact us at webmaster@virginiabeachhistory.org or (757) 491-3490

http://www.virginiabeachhistory.org

Copyright©2001 Princess Anne County/Virginia Beach Historical Society • ALL RIGHTS RESERVED • Web site design by Cynthia S. Hart • Modifications by June Cooper