Bell House

805 Oceana Blvd, Virginia Beach


No picture available. The Bell House is a private residence

Built around 1820 by Joshua James, the Bell house is an example of early 19th century architecture. After his death, James' second wife, Maria, remarried. The house takes its name from her new husband, Alexander W. Bell. The house was owned by many families during the subsequent decades.

In 1942, A.T. Taylor bought and restored the house. The U.S. navy became the last and current owner in 1952. The house and the property became Oceana Naval Master Jet Base. Today, the Bell House serves as the official residence of the commanding officer of Oceana Naval Air Station.



Historic Houses - Historic Sites - Museums
 

Home
Site Map
Index
Contact Us
The Society
Get Involved
Local History
Historic Places
Resources

Princess Anne County/Virginia Beach Historical Society

2040 Potters Road, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454

Contact us at webmaster@virginiabeachhistory.org or (757) 491-3490

http://www.virginiabeachhistory.org

Copyright©2001 Princess Anne County/Virginia Beach Historical Society • ALL RIGHTS RESERVED • Web site design by Cynthia S. Hart • Modifications by June Cooper